If you haven’t heard of mung bean noodles, they are commonly made from mung bean starch and are naturally gluten-free while also being a good source of plant-based fibre and protein. Paired with my walnut sauce rich in healthy fats and antioxidants, this recipe is a healthy twist on traditional spaghetti bolognese!
- 1 packet mung bean noodles
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 6 Roma tomatoes, skin removed and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. fresh chilli
- 1 tsp. oregano, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place walnuts in a food processor and pulse until just crumbled.
- In a large saucepan add a little olive oil, and saute onions, chilli and garlic. Add the fresh tomatoes, tinned tomato, lemon zest, herbs and seasonings. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, cook for 10-15 minutes. Add walnuts to the tomato sauce.
- Cook mung bean noodles according to packet directions.
- Serve mung bean noodles with walnut pasta sauce spooned over and fresh basil.