Father’s Day is just around the corner and there is no better way to thank the Dad’s in your life than to celebrate over a meal.
The recipe I am sharing below is fairly fuss free which allows you to put your feet up with Dad and spend more time together on this special day.
For a vegan or vegetarian version, marinate sliced tofu or tempeh in the garlic thyme marinade and pan-fry or roast and serve with the carrots and chickpea mash
Garlic Eye Fillet with Roasted Dutch Carrots and Chickpea Mash
Pre: 10 minutes
Cooking: 30-40 minutes
800g eye fillet
50ml verjuice or white wine
1 – 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 bunch dutch carrots, cleaned and stem removed
Garlic Thyme Marinade
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. whole peppercorns
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
3 tbsp. EV olive oil
1 cup tinned chickpeas, drained
1 garlic clove
EV olive oil
Salt and pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 190C. In a mortar, add the marinade ingredients and crush to paste, stir in the olive oil. Rub the marinade over the beef, coating all over.
In a hot pan, sear the beef on all sides, approx. 1-2 minutes each side.
Lay the carrots on the bottom of a pan, cover with the beef, verjuice and vinegar. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
To prepare chickpea mash, gently crush chickpeas and add to a pot with remaining mash ingredients, combine well and warm through. Serve the mash with eye fillet and dutch carrots.
If you haven’t started gift hunting for Dad, here are some gift ideas for foodie Dad’s:
- A cookbook on your Dad’s favourite cuisine or introducing him to a new cuisine, for Dad’s who like to cook healthy yet flavoursome food my Falling in Love with Food Cookbook can be purchased HERE.
- A spice kit made up of an array of spices or try putting together a spice rack and allow Dad to get creative in the kitchen.
- Class pass or membership to a gym or new type of exercise class.
- Bottle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Voucher to a local cooking class or food tour.
- Gourmet ingredient which he wouldn’t usually buy for himself such as truffle oil, truffle honey, good quality salt or French cheese.
- Subscription to a weekly organic produce box.
- Cooking utensils such as microplane, sharp knife set, mortar and pestle, pasta machine or a set of digital kitchen scales.
- Reusable coffee cup.
Wishing all Father’s a happy and healthy Father’s Day, this Sunday! Xo