This next week is going to be a big one! It’s that time of year again when many of us have Christmas leftovers stacked in the fridge, meaning we are more at risk of accidental food poisoning. We should be aware of the symptoms and conscious of the spike in the number of cases at this time of year in the warmer months.
BBQs and outdoor gatherings are the perfect breeding ground for harmful bacteria. Salmonella is one of the culprits, often caused by eating undercooked animal products and poor storage. If you do experience food poisoning symptoms and believe food is involved, it is important for you to seek medical attention. There are many simple ways however to minimise the risk of food poisoning this festive season:
- It’s important to use different utensils when handling raw and cooked meats.
- Soft cheeses and dips shouldn’t be left out for too long.
- Some fridges can become twice as warm when stacked with more food, so it’s important to keep the refrigerator below five degrees. Make more room by storing beers in the laundry sink, ice buckets or an esky.
- Discard any hot or cold food left out for over two hours.
- Leftovers stored in the fridge should be used within three days
Don’t let poor food storage ruin your holidays, and familiarise yourself with these guidelines for summer eating.