Place the bean thread noodles in a bowl and cover with very hot water. They will soften in a few minutes. Strain, then place these onto a serving platter.
Meanwhile put the tofu in a pan with the tamari and kecap manis and enough water to just cover it. Simmer until the water has gone and the tofu becomes sticky and crunchy. Don’t move it too much but carefully turn once or twice.
Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Place these on a serving platter around the edge in piles.
To assemble the spring rolls, place 1 sheet of rice paper in boiling water for about 15 seconds. Take out gently and place on a dry surface. Repeat for as many rolls as you want. Allow about 4 per person. Start by placing a piece of nori on the bottom, (this keeps the wraps dry), then some carrot, 1 piece each of cucumber and avocado, then top with a piece of tofu and a small amount of noodles and spring onions. Finish with a sprinkling of coriander and mint. Don’t make the wraps too big, as they will burst.
For the dipping sauce, combine the tamari and sesame oil. Serve in small, individual bowls.
- 1 small pkts bean thread vermicelli
- ½ cup firm tofu, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp each of tamari and kecap manis
- 8 – 10 round rice papers, the small ones
- 1 sheets of nori, torn into small strips
- 1 carrot, grated or julienned
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, julienned
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- ½ cup each of mint & coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1 tsp sesame oil